to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Transitioning

In the Raw blogger has a great post called 15 Tips To Transition to a Raw Foods Lifestyle.
Something to check out.

A couple of points that struck true with me......

~"Now, why are you doing this? Until you get crystal clear about that, you'll just be spinning your wheels. "  
If you are changing your eating habits to please anybody else besides yourself (like a significant-other) or because your best-friend is, or you 'know' you should, forget it.  As in other areas of life, if you are convinced it is right, that might not be enough to keep you going when the times are difficult.  But if you are convicted that this is the right thing for you, then that will carry you a long ways.  
If you are changing your eating habits for a quick fix to a problem, and hope that this change will only have to be short-term, think again.  Most of us could do with an improvement to our health for the long-haul, and that means choosing a long-term course of action that we can live with for permanent change.  
We have made our dietary changes because we not only want health & vitality for ourselves, but also for our children.  And while they are still young and at home, we have the greatest opportunity to positively influence their health for the rest of their lives.  What an awesome gift we can give them.



~"Lose the labels. Lose the percentages. Who are you competing with? Seriously. Set your own bar. Neither a label nor a percentage ever made anyone healthy." 

Just do what works for you and your family.  Nothing else matters.  There's no need to measure up to anybody or any system.  It actually bothers me when people ask "Are you still doing that raw thing?" or "Are you still 100% raw?"  There was 1 month.....30 days, once.....that I was 100% raw.  That's it.  And people still label me as eating 100% raw.  Jeesh.  I'm not.  As much as I might believe it to be healthiest for me, that's not where I am.  And presently, it isn't even where my sights are.  And I'm even happy and content at where I am right now.  To me, there are other health issues to consider besides how much I eat that is raw, blah blah blah.

~"Let go of the black-and-white, all-or-nothing mentality. I mean, really, take a look at where that's gotten you in life. And that wagon you keep "falling off"? Put it down by the curb for trash pick-up. Say goodbye. "

This sort of goes along with what I commented above.  I'm not trying to do the 100% raw thing.  And even if I was, I think we stress too much over whether the cashews are really raw,  and maybe some of that food at the potluck had something un-raw in it, etc.
No big deal.  Get over it.  Do the best you can, and chill out about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment