to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Young Children & Raw Recipes

Ice Cream for Breakfast. Yes, I let my children eat ice cream for breakfast. Actually, I am enjoying a bowl of it myself at the moment, thanks to Toveli who wants me to make her her own raw recipe book.


Lucuma Ice Cream
4 frozen bananas, chopped
1/4 c lucuma powder
1/4 c walnuts, if desired

Blend in food processor. Viola!! Enjoy.

I'm planning to share on another post all about lucuma. Just hold tight!

This morning Gaelyn and I also made 2 easy pudding recipes shared by Nomi Shannon, a raw gourmet chef. We wanted to compare them and see what we liked. My children discovered this morning that they do not like papaya (but Daddy does. He ate it most days while we were in Belize). So, one pudding didn't go over well at our house (I liked it), but the other one got all ate up!

Papaya Pudding:

about 2 cups papaya, seeded, peeled and cubed
1 banana
1 1/2 TBsp organic tahini (or more, to taste)
Blend in a blender, adding a bit of water or some juice to make it a smooth pudding texture.


Here's the recipe that disappeared lickety-split:

Basic Pudding:


1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
2 bananas, peeled and cubed


Whirl in a blender until creamy pudding texture.

This is a basic pudding recipe. Play around with it, adding lucuma & mesquite powder, or cacao and dates/honey, let the imagination soar.

We have plans for each of the children to have their own recipe books that they can work out of.  Right now we have a few raw recipe books we are working from, trying new recipes, taking notes, picking favorites.  Then we'll take each child's favorite recipes and use them to make their own books that they can create from.  I hope this will continue to encourage them to create their own healthy foods, and be more independent in the kitchen.  With eating predominantly raw I don't have to worry so much about them always using the propane stove and the oven, and the possibility of burns. I feel much better with them using the food processor, which won't  even turn the motor on if the lid isn't on correctly at all times.  And the chute is too small for fingers/hands to go down.


At present, the children are on the 'Healthy Train'.  Gaelyn keeps telling me "I'm happy to be eating healthy" and then 15 minutes later she might ask me for a cookie :)  But they are more willing to try new foods.  Their newest new-find is raw snowpeas.  And Danaka chose Brussel sprouts the other day while shopping with me, and liked them!

1 comment: