to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Chia Seeds

Pack Your Nutrient Dense Smoothies with Chia Seeds

We eat chia seeds quite a bit around here. We sneak them in smoothies, and we actually make chia pudding....a couple of different ways. If you soak the seeds 5-10 mins (about 1 part seeds to 4 parts liquid) with something to sweeten it, you end up with something that resembles tapioca, but the seeds are a little crunchy. I make it with water or almond milk, then add sliced bananas, chopped walnuts or pecans, and chopped dates.

My favorite way to eat chia seeds is what I call Lucuma Pudding.
I soak the seeds with almond milk and 1/4 c lucuma, blend on high speed until creamy smooth. Then I add whatever I want to add, usually chopped nuts and dates.  Or my other favorite is when I soak the seeds (1/4 c) in 2 cups almond milk.  I let sit for about 10 minutes, stir, then place in fridge till the morning.  This is more like tapioca.  I scoop over top 1/2-1 banana, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts, dates and coconut.  Yummy.  That was this mornings breakfast.  And the chia seems to stick for hours, keeping me full.

When we drove across the country, sitting for long days of driving, I would take a heaping Tablespoon of these seeds, just plain. They get a bit gummy on the teeth, but that provides entertainment while I drive! And it keeps me regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment