to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Survival


I admit, I'm not very knowledgeable about survival stuff, and would rely a whole lot on Everette or Rauchelle if they were around. But if they weren't around....good luck, Karen!

I know I'm not so dependent as others for my health.....well, when I think about it, I suppose I am. Just not pharmaceuticals per se. But I don't know how to make essential oils. Infusions are easy, once I get better at identifying plants in my local area suitable for doing that with (the dc came in the other evening with a pile of local plants for making tea, and juicing, etc., so they are ahead of me. Thanks, Danaka....she's teaching her siblings). I don't have a green-thumb and neither does Everette. I dream of living somewhere's like Ecuador where I could hire a gardener to do the work for me!! Being honest here.

Well, The Health Ranger has an article here, and I've got an excerpt below. Things to think about.

"The upshot of all this is that it's a good idea to acquire some essential preparedness skills so that you don't find yourself a complete noob when the lights go out. And this isn't about acquiring just stuff (gadgets and the like), it's about developing skills and know-how. Skills beat stuff any day.

For example, by working alongside some of the locals I've hired in Ecuador, I've learned how to cut wire without a wire cutter. I've learned how to repair irrigation pipes without pipe clamps (just using bailing wire and a nail). I've learned how to build water troughs out of bamboo and how to make a decent roof covering out of dried sugar cane leaves. It's all the more curious given that I came to Ecuador from what people call an "advanced nation" (the USA) and yet found myself clueless in so many areas that are considered common knowledge by the people of this "developing nation" (Ecuador).

I can tell you this: In a prolonged crisis, rural Ecuadorians will out-live USA city-dwellers by a hundred to one. Many skills that we might consider "advanced preparedness skills" in the USA are everyday knowledge to the Ecuadorians I know. There is much to learn from these knowledgeable people."

Question for You: Do you think you could survive any substantial amount of time without the services most of us are accustomed to?

No comments:

Post a Comment