to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Orthorexia Nervosa

Years back during one of my pregnancies I recall sitting at the 'golden arches' wolfing down a burger, fries and a chocolate shake. Not one person made a comment about what I was feeding our unborn child.

Fast forward a few years, when I was pregnant with Gaelyn and I started eating high raw wholefoods. The comments started flying. It raised concern in people, enough to question me and my food choices. Suddenly, people were concerned whether I was eating enough protein, gaining enough weight, getting enough nutrients. It crossed my mind at the time how bizarre their concern was. I was eating real food, live food, whole foods. Yet they seemed more relaxed if I was eating processed, deep-fried, dead foods, or something marketed and sold as 'food'.

Well, I found this recent article by The Health Ranger very interesting and not at all surprising.
Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

I would now be lumped in with those suffering mildly with orthorexia nervosa.

And yet I have made a general observation amongst the people we knew before leaving almost 3 years ago. Those who don't take much notice of what they eat and still consume quite a lot of animal products.....they have gained weight, particularly in the gut. Unfortunately, in our society, they are considered 'normal' with 'normal eating habits'.

I encourage you to eat whole foods, predominantly raw like God made them. Eat what your great-grandmother would recognize as food. Your body will thank you. But you might be labeled as having a psychological problem.

Them's the risks.

I'm willing to take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment