to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Project 333 and How Minimalism is Shaping Up in our Closet

My new-fangled trend is to become a minimalist.  I think its more than a trend.  Its a new way of life we unknowingly ventured into 3 years ago when we left house and island for our cross-country adventure. 

It seems like at every new turn we are unloading more and more stuff.

But now we have a big house, fairly empty still although there are 10 of us in here (Layne is visiting).  Little furniture is making it uncomfortable in the living room with just some pillows and blankets we call 'the couch'.  But we are managing.

Taking a break from all the school stuff I've been busy with over the past few weeks, I checked out some of my favourite minimalist sites and was thrilled to find the Project 333.  When I read about it, I got excited to join in, and then a bit of panic rushed through my veins when I thought I'd have to pack away some of my stuff.

Project 333 is about restricting your wardrobe to just 33 items for 3 months, Oct 1- Dec 31.  That includes footwear, winter gear, etc.  Box excess stuff up, and put it out of sight for 3 months.  And at the end of the Project one might (easily) find that they don't even need the boxed items anymore!!

So, I checked out my closet and discovered (ahhhhh) I already had less than 33 items there.  So......I get to keep them ALL!!

 Added to what's in the picture would be 1 winter jacket, 1 wool jacket, 1 winter hat, a pair of driving gloves.
 If I had other things to pack up and put away, I wouldn't have my sandals here.  But I don't have things to put away so I'm leaving them out.  I also have 1 pair of runners I'm using, but no boots at the present time.
 I only own 1 purse.
 Up on the top shelf (see pic below) on the far left is this stack of 2 pairs of jeans (and 1 belt) for my next size DOWN from where I'm at.  I've gone from a size 14-16 to an 8 since Dec 2009..  I bought myself some size 6 jeans at Value Village so I've got them 'stored', along with a dress I bought in Quebec City for Layne's wedding (that Was Not!).  I'm keeping it for living in Mexico or Ecuador!

Beside that is some of the boys' out-of-season clothes.
 The Plastic box has my lingerie & 4 pairs of socks in it.  The next shelf down is Anders' clothes (he has a bit in the laundry) and Laars' clothes are on the bottom shelf.  Their socks and underwear are together on the floor.  Right above my purse and beside my shoes are 2 of the boys' sweaters.

Also not pictured are my 2 rings (other than wedding rings) my pendant and 1 set of silver earrings.

I believe my count is 31, including the pieces of jewelry and other non-pictured things I mentioned above.  That's without doing anything to my wardrobe.  I'm delighted!!


And then the other side of this big walk-thru closet.......
Some Bibles and tallits on the top shelf, along with an empty iron box and about 4 pairs of shorts/swimwear.
The lower shelf is folded t-shirts and sweat shirts, a couple pairs of pants and a box with his socks and underwear.  He's really pared down, too.

I know its past the Start Date, but if you are interested in joining in, here's the rules:

Original rules

  • When: October 1 – December 31 (It’s never too late to start so join in anytime!)
  • What: 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes.
  • What not: these items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring, underwear, sleep, in-home lounge wear,  and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)
  • How: over the next two months, outline your 33 items, by the 1st of October, box up the remainder of your fashion statement, seal it with tape and put it out of site.
  • What else: consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months. If you purchase items for project 333, stick with the one in, two out approach. Consider the essentials and stick to 33.
 This post isn't just about the Project 333.  I've taken the opportunity to show pics of how its looking for us now that we are in our own house and seeing that we really have pared down on our things.  In future days I hope to show pics of more areas of the house and show how we are minimalizing the stuff in our lives.
I'd love to hear if you join in. Leave a comment below, and let me know how you approach this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment