to have Courage....In Family Life, In Spirituality, In Health, In Living Simply

I'm on a journey...... as we all are. Learning, remembering, re-discovering about health, spirituality, relationships, emotions and the mind.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Thousand Islands

Ever wonder where the name for the salad dressing came from?

In the St. Lawrence River between Maine and Ontario but on the Canadian side are the beautiful Thousand Islands.  The drive we took along this part of Canada from Ontario back to Cape Breton was a highlight for me.  I'd always wanted to see the waterway that played such a big role in the history of this great nation.  And when we drove along the Thousand Island Parkway, a 'green highway' on a sunny summer afternoon, we all decided that this would be a lovely place to return to, and even sail a lifetime (well, maybe just a lifetime of summers) amidst these islands.

Growing up I'd use Thousand Islands Dressing if ever I had to  eat salad.

Now of course, my eating habits are much different.  Thankfully, and healthfully.

I'm not looking for a replacement for that dressing, but I recently did come across a dressing that is named "Thousand Islands" and its Maret's favorite.  So, here it is for you to try.

"Thousand Islands"

2 oranges, peeled and seeded

4 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp raw honey

2 Tbsp nama shoyu or tamari or Bragg's amino acids

1/4 cup raw almond or cashew butter

2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice

4 cloves garlic

Make this creamy dressing in your food processor or blender, and enjoy.

I don't recall where I got this recipe from, so I unfortunately can't give credit where it is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment