I look at this list as a guide as to how I might chose How to Better Live.
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. Disconnecting somewhat from my religious upbringing has helped in this area. Fear is another common issue.
2. I wish I didn't work so hard. I think I have a fairly good grasp on this one. And learning to live more minimalistic helps Everette not live with such pressure to produce.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings. Not so good at this. People-pleasing is an issue.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. I have few friends, but some close friends. And my family truly are my friends. But sometimes I think I have bailed too often.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier. A real issue with me these days and has led to many discussions with Everette. I understand "that happiness is a choice."
"The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives."
Yup, I can identify.